For Sale: Northwoods Pottery, Gallery and Art School
Riverrun Center For the Arts
6938 Bridge Road McNaughton WI
Property listed with First Weber Group Realty in Rhinelander
MLS # is 125579 for additional details and photos.
Contact: Joan Slack, owner
715-277-4224 business < firstname.lastname@example.org
A potter’s and artist’s dream! Fully equipped studio, gallery, classrooms and apartment in the Northwoods of Wisconsin. The property is private, with a natural pond, and surrounded by pine forest, yet also in a commercially zoned area only a half-block off busy Highway 47. We are located in the heart of the northwoods between Rhinelander and Minocqua, both thriving tourist areas with year-round populations. McNaughton is 1 hour north of Wausau, 3 hours from Madison, 3.5 hours from Milwaukee, 4 hours from the Twin Cities and 5.5 hours from Chicago. Many people from these urban areas own second homes in the area and make up a large part of our seasonal population. The Art Center has a long held reputation and following for classes offered throughout the year, special events, art festivals and fund raisers, and is an active member of the Northwoods Art Tours in Summer and Fall.
Purpose built in 2002, the 2 story structure is on 2.06 acres of land with mature pines and forest, 40 x 60 pond, and meadows. The Wisconsin River runs behind the property, about 1/4 mile from the building, and a small lake is visible from the property as well. Riverrun has been in operation for 30+ years one mile from the present location prior to 2002 when it was moved to this location, and has developed a long standing reputation for fine art and craft, and a following of visitors and summer residents. The gallery sells the work of over 40 regional artists on consignment, the artwork of the owner, and locally made regional gifts, and we exhibit the art of various artists in special shows 2-3 times per year.
The Center has offered years of workshops and classes in: Firing the Fast-fire Wood kiln, Prehistoric Pit Firing, Tile Making, Hand-building and Wheel throwing , Children’s Art classes, Felt making, Drawing, Painting, Fiber Arts, Sculpture, Stained Glass, Holiday Arts, Art History, and many others. We have a talented base of workshop teachers in the area who help with teaching our classes. We have also offered an apprentice and studio assistant program for 8 years.
The main building is currently being used as a regional art gallery on both levels, a pottery and sculpture studio space and classroom on half the lower level, and an additional classroom on upper level, where felt-making, children’s classes, painting, drawing, art history, fiber arts, and other classes are held. We also utilize upper level for meetings of local groups, Reader’s Theater, and other community events, as well as special art exhibits. The upper level also houses a kitchen/living area with an adjoining bedroom and full bath, separate from the other rooms.
The buildings were built with care taken for energy efficiency , super insulation, low-e windows and doors, and attention to sealing and caulking.
- 40 x 40 with 12 x 12 extension
- concrete floor with radiant heat provided by a gas furnace/propane
- low-E energy efficient windows and doors, passive solar heat
- well insulated, quality construction, built for natural light
- unique use of local materials, such as interior log walls, hand-crafted log staircase, hand hewn beam on upper level, post and beam hand crafted front porch
- half log siding on exterior, with hand made cedar shakes on gable ends
- ceramic tile floor in 20 x 40 gallery space
wired and plumbed for possible conversion to living space or other uses (wiring in for kitchen stove, plumbing for adaptation to kitchen area)
- half bath on lower level, built to be handicapped accessible
- 2 ceiling fans
- tongue and groove flooring
- full bath with tub
- wired for cable and internet
- very flexible space for many uses:
- Living space has flexible uses:
- as a studio apartment with one room and kitchen area
- office space (possible rental potential),
- apartment and adjoining bedroom
- retail space
12 x 12 cottage
- Anderson sliding glass doors on 2 sides for passive solar heat
- overlooks pond
- currently used for retail space but has many options for use. Could be used for outdoor living room, studio space, added on to for living space, rented, or used for retail
- 24 x 24
- open on one side for possible conversion to garage
- currently used as kiln building: holds a Olsen Fastfire 30 cubic foot kiln and has enclosed area for Olympic gas fueled kiln
Currently, the business is open year round and draws on local communities for classes and winter retail. May-October is tourist season and the business is open every day. Gallery sells artwork by owner and 40 regional artists in the following media: fibers, weaving, painting, prints, jewelry, sculpture, collage, and pottery. Books by regional authors are also sold. Most artist items are sold on consignment, with a following of people who know the work is available here for sale.
The owner also teaches classes, and hires local artists to teach workshops and classes throughout the year. Community groups use the space, and the business has hosted fund raisers, Children’s Theater, art exhibits and special events. The Northwoods Art tour occurs in July and October, and the business is a part of this self-guided art tour. The grounds are suitable for offering art fairs out of doors during the summer months.
The studio area is equipped with everything needed to operate a pottery. A clay storage room holds clay and glaze materials, and a kiln room houses an over size Olympic electric kiln with vent. Equipment included in sale:
- tables, stools, chairs
- spray booth for glazing
- 2 potters wheels
- tools- various wood, trimming, and other studio tools
- plaster and bisque molds for hand building
- Olsen Fast fire kiln
- 30 x 30, wood fired, built by Fred Olsen
- Olympic gas kiln #2831 Gas kiln
- Olympic electric kiln 36 x 38
- shelves and posts are included with the 3 kilns, as is firewood for the wood kiln.
- business signs at the driveway entrance included.
Rental of one billboard on Highway 47 is optional.
An adjacent parcel may also be purchased: it adjoins the property and has frontage on Bridge Road. Currently listed with Coldwell Banker for $19,000
Total Package Includes:
- Home/living area
- upper level apartment with bath, or use entire upper level as living space
- studio space
- gallery space
- cottage with loft
- cordwood building
- 2.06 acres of land with large pond
- established business name, artists, and following
- equipment listed above
Sold as business and property, including Riverrun Center for the Arts name, operations and consignment artists at $295,000. $249,000 without the business . The entire building has been constructed so that it would be possible to convert it in the future as a home, with wiring and plumbing already installed and layout with this consideration in mind. The land has been surveyed. Taxes for 2009 were $2589.
Joan Slack, owner